20080308

homeschooling

In a current case against parents homeschooling their children in California the judge says this about why children should be in mainstream education system:

"A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation as a means of protecting the public welfare"

And i couldn't agree more. I'm grateful my parents homeschooled me, or more accurately unschooled me. I was a horrible student for them and I didn't finish high school. But I did learn, a great deal more about myself. As a result I have trouble learning in the typical education systems that attempt compartmentalize our natural energy and passion for learning. I can't even start to learn something just because someone thinks i should, be it for "good citizenry" or because one day I "might" want to specialize in a specific topic. I can only learn when the topic appears relevant to my own educational goals, not "theirs". Ultimately i always feel like a square peg trying to fit in the round hole of the education system. Now that I am studying at University i see the best part of this whole dilemma. While cutting into the walls of this round education system i feel more grateful and inspired by the ideas and contacts that have resulted and I feel less bound to the walls, be they my own shortcomings our the systems.

I have no idea if I would advocate homeschooling children, it is a coin toss equal to that of the educational system. From my side of the street though the purpose of the current system seems to be just a great equalizer. Making the majority of stupid people less so and minority of brilliant people more normal. As with all equalizers, the resulting softened diversity makes for a less interesting society, I think.

No comments: